From:
Andrew Grebneff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 May 2008 00:07:32 +1200
Does anyone have a contact in New Caledonia?

I'm trying to build-up my too-small collection of Recent true
Nautilus spp, in part to do with research regarding fossil species,
the oldest possibly as old as 220 million years old (Carnian-Norian,
late Triassic).

I have just managed to snag a live-collected specimen of N.
perforatus from Bali; this is probably just a local ribbed morph of
N. scrobiculatus.

I'd like to obtain one or more specimens of Nautilus macromphalus,
which is common there and probably fished.

I'd also like to get specimens of true N. stenomphalus and local
morphs of N. pompilius (eg N. belauensis).

I don't want to pay some of the insane dealers' prices I have seen listed.

Can anyone help?
--
Andrew Grebneff
Dunedin