From:
Lynn Scheu <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Sep 1998 16:02:45 -0400
Hey Conch-Land,

We all like to get a little bit off topic now and then, but we're going
kind of overboard.  The rules of this list say that there should be NO
off-topic postings. That has never been strictly enforced.  (Flying pigs,
etc...) And we really don't want it to have to be enforced so stringently
that we can't play a little.  We're friends, after all, and friends who
play together etc. etc.

But the sports stuff has passed over into the abusive stage.  And do the
math: How many sports teams are there in the U.S.? In the World?  How many
of us follow how many of them?  How bad could this get?

And then there's the manure thing, which started legitimately as an
on-topic post about molluscan environmental destruction, and stayed there a
while, but it has been devolving into the puerile lately.

Kate is right.  Let's clean it up a smidge!  Some of us  have been on here
long enough to KNOW better than to push it to the limit of tolerance. We're
setting a bad example for the new folks. And we are liable to scare off
some great people who would contribute good information.

And please learn to request the list of subscribers so that you have the
private email addresses you need. If you don't know how, and want help,
email me. I will be pleased to help you  learn this immensely complicated
trick.

Also, let's don't let this topic of what we should/may discuss run away
with us again. It would be off-topic, wouldn't it?

Lynn Scheu . . . stamping American Conchologist envelopes and getting a
little cranky on a hot September afternoon in
Louisville, KY
Home of the 1999 COA Convention
"You'll Love Louisville!"