From:
Guido Poppe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Jun 2008 04:00:27 +0800
Dear All,

I don't know if anybody got perfect data. It is a rare species, I had
only one in the past and I viewed only 3 pieces closely. Two in the
Baer collection (I got one of these, before he sold his collection)
and one in the hands of Danila, a little before that. Prices were
quite high at that time, now about 15-20 years ago.

All are said to be dredged on the Saya de Malha bank. This is a very
vague indication, but the Russians at that time told me the shells
came from between 80 and 200 m deep. A classic depth for related
species to C. primus.

The Saya de Malha is in the Indian Ocean, open sea. It is an eldorado
for undiscovered species. The Russians dredged there a little and
came up with quantities of spectacular shells. A set described by
Okutani was said to come from Surinamia, in fact they are from Saya
de Malha - he reversed longitude and latitude.

Best regards, Guido

www.conchology.be
www.poppe-stamps.com
www.mambele.be