From:
Winston Barney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Jul 2008 14:20:08 -0500
Doug,

It's been at least 15 years since my last trip to Hawaii, but I'll chip in
anyway. On Maui, there was a nice reef on Maalaea Bay where I collected nice
Cyp. c. caputophidii and  a couple of C. isabella controversa, Drup morum,
Morula granulata, Nerita picea, Littorina pintado, Thais intermedia, and
others. At the harbor in Lahaina I found a huge caputophdii under a rock, in
6 inches.
There was not much beach collecting on the west side of Lanai, but we found
a number of cones on the north-east coast (and Moray eels, too). At the time
(1984) there was only one hotel on the island, housing about a dozen guests.
We had to rent a jeep to travel the road down to the beach - top speed about
5 mph.
There's (was?) a great black-sand beach on the south east side of the Big
Island. I wasn't able to shell there -- too many visitors, but it's worth
seeing.

Happy shelling,

Winston Barney
Fort Worth, TX