From:
Kurt Auffenberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Sep 1998 13:31:16 -0400
Emilio,
Thanks.  I'll put up with a little more belly-aching if it makes Lynn happy.

1:  Richard Goldberg for Cuban snails.  People are already mad at me for
taking too long with ID's.

2:  To my knowledge there are no fossil records for Ligs in Florida.  This
is perplexing.  Florida is not "too young".  There are numerous localities
which could harbour land snail fossils even in the extreme south.  Most
land snail sites are marine in general nature anyway and have fossilized
land snails which were obviously washed in from rivers (as non-fossils and
then fossilized in situ).  Could it be that the paleo-Indians brought these
from Cuba as a food source?  Could be.  This may explain why some hammocks
have pure colonies (capable of self-fertilization, only one individual of
Liguus escaped from some handbag) and others have more than one form (more
visits from native people, more forms escaped).  Sounds far-fetched but
stranger things have happened.  Ask me about the enid Rachis sometime,
Gulella, Allopeas, Coilostele, on and on all have weird distributions with
no fossil records.  The thing that makes Liguus so confusing is those darn
color morphs, pure here, not there.  It just don't make sense.

You going to Orlando?

Hugs,

Kurt