From:
Bert Bartleson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Aug 2008 13:08:58 -0700
I have a couple of wentletraps in my collection that I found on the beach on
Kauai, Hawaii in 1973.  I have a label on them that names them as Epitonium
perplexum but I didn't put in the author when I labeled them originally.  So
today I was trying to re-label them properly.  I checked Kay's "Hawaiian
Marine Shells" and got E. perplexum (Deshayes, 1863).  Then I did a quick
web search and got very confused very quickly.

I found E. perplexum (Pease, 1960); E. perplexum Deshayes, 1862; E. pyramis
(Tinker, 1952)[E. perplexum auct.]in OBIS; ITIS lists no record at all; and
finally I found references that this species is really Epitonium lamellosum
with no author given [although Kay lists E. lamellosa Bryan, 1915 as a
synonym].  Any reasons to explain this dilemma and help that any of you can
provide would be appreciated greatly.  Bert Bartleson