From:
Jenny Cline <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Sep 1998 17:42:45 -0500
Dave,

Do you want any material from Honduras and/or Panama?  Send me an address
and specific preservation instructions and I'll remember you when I go
collecting in C.A.  I don't normally collect bivalves but I can happily
make an exception if it would be helpful for your dissertation.  ID's are
up to you; I will pickle them any way you need and provide site data.

Jenny

----------
> From: David Campbell <[log in to unmask]>
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Which pickled pelecypods?
> Date: Monday, September 21, 1998 12:39 PM
>
> Marlo Krisberg asked:
>
> "Bivalves" is pretty comprehensive.  Could you provide a little more
> explanation of the scope and content of a "DNA-based phylogeny of the
> bivalves."  Does this go to the species level?  How many thousands of DNA
> examinations do you anticipate to accomplish your objective?
>

> I am focusing on the superfamily level and above, although certain
families
> with particular questions about their affinities are of interest, too.
> There are roughly 40 superfamilies of bivalves, but the published
coverage
> for molecular data is very uneven.  Anomalodesmatans and protobranchs are
> particularly poorly known, which is not surprising given their frequent
> small size and deep water habitat.  Other taxa of particular interest
> include Crassatelloidea, Lucinoidea, Trigonoidea, Dimyoidea, Solenoidea,
> Glossoidea, Gastrochaenoidea, and Hiatelloidea.  Taxa well-represented by
> published data include Mytilus, Crassostrea, Ostrea, mactrids, and
> cardiids (including Tridacna).  Apart from these, few enough species have
> been studied that the odds are good that whatever you collect will be
> undocumented for DNA.  The first several species with cooperative DNA (in
> addition to my current collections) will go into the PhD, and additional
> material will serve for further research.
>
> Thanks!
>
> David Campbell
>
> David Campbell
>
> "Old Seashells"
>
> Department of Geology
> CB 3315 Mitchell Hall
> Chapel Hill NC 27599-3315
> USA
>
> 919-962-0685
> FAX 919-966-4519
>
> "He had discovered an unknown bivalve, forming a new genus"-E. A. Poe,
The