From:
Paul Callomon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Nov 2008 10:05:28 -0500
My ten cents:

I have been able to get fairly good photographs by using a Wild
microscope (either an M5 or an M6) with the optional diaphragm section.
The latter can be bought separately, and adds a diaphragm to the column
(both sides). If you focus with it open and then shut it down to about
2.5, you get the same depth of field as a macro lens at f32. The camera
is a Nikon digital SLR (6.1 MPx), attached to one of the eyepieces using
an adaptor purchased from Edmund Optical in New Jersey. This compensates
for eyepiece magnification, and has a standard Leica screw mount that
can be customized for any camera using adaptor rings.
Lighting can be by ringlight, light pipes or by a regular strobe on one
side of the microscope with a handheld mirror on the other to vary
shadowing.
The only problem with this setup, apart from the cost of the eyepiece
adaptor, is a certain amount of purple/yellow halation on edges; this is
partly because the light path is going through a prism, and partly
because each pixel is approaching the size of the optical Circle of
Interference. A finer CCD, like a 10 MPx or so, might improve things. On
the other hand, if you already own or have access to an M5 or M6, this
is a relatively cheap way to get good micro pictures.

I recently obtained a rare Mk1 Medi-nikkor lens from about 1975 - 3 x
macro, built-in strobe and a diaphragm that goes to f45! It's fabulous,
and gives great color pictures of things down to about 0.5 mm diameter.
I've been using it for protoconch and periostracum pictures, with good
results.

Regards,

Paul Callomon
Collections Manager
Malacology, Invertebrate Paleontology and General Invertebrates
Department of Malacology
Academy of Natural Sciences
1900 Parkway, Philadelphia PA 19103-1195, USA
Tel 215-405-5096
Fax 215-299-1170
Secretary, American Malacological Society
On the web at www.malacological.org

>>> Marcus Coltro <[log in to unmask]> 11/25/2008 7:42 AM >>>
No, it is not for sale here, only in USA, UK and Japan... and it is
"kinda" heavy to carry around,
63 kilos! (140 pounds)

Anyway, I would like to hear if these others produce good quality
pictures. It is hard to get decent
depth of field using regular microscopes - even with the software as
there is not much space for
take different levels of focus

Marcus