From:
mike gray <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Jan 2009 22:17:20 -0500
Andrew Grebneff wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 1:54 AM, John Wolff <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>>Scuba rebreathers for the masses:
>>
>>http://www.spectrum.ieee.org/jan09/7081
>

> "This month,  Swedish scuba manufacturer Poseidon Diving Systems plans
> to introduce an electronically controlled closed-circuit rebreather
> (CCR) called Discovery, which promises to change mainstream sport
> diving the way Microsoft Windows changed computing. "
>
> I assume that this means that Poseidon isn't going to change anything at all.
>
> After all, Microsoft didn't change computing. Apple did. Microsoft
> merely pirated Apple's operating system. And butchered it in doing so.

After all the golly and gee whiz of the author of this article (who went
all the way to the bottom of a swimming pool for 15 minutes!) it's just
another CCR with a little more - and better - software. It won't "change
mainstream sport diving" for the simple fact that (a) it is still too
expensive to buy (only $6,000 supposedly, but prolly more by the time it
gets to yer dealer's shelf), (b) it is expensive to operate (the
scrubber is available only from dealers and in non-reusable cartridges),
(c) it has a MOD of only 120'.

The unit will be attractive to some pro photographers and to rich
techno-toy collectors, but don't sell yer tanks.