From:
Andrew Grebneff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Mar 2009 18:25:48 +1200
> Putting aside issues of taxonomy for the moment (Colubraria has an awfully
> complex history!)

FYI, there's a nice tumid species in the late Oligocene of New
Zealand, C. sutherlandi Beu 1973. It has a largish papillate
protoconch. I doubt that it is belongs in the genus, but is certainly
a colubrariine.

> I am interested to know if anyone is aware of any records
> of sinistral shells in the genus Colubraria or related Colubraria-like
> genera (`colubrariines').  A few years ago I came across a juvenile
> sinistral Colubraria mestayerae and I recently became aware that a
> sinistral Colubraria bednalli is recorded from South Australia.

Along with Volutidae, Marginellidae and Volutidae, 8uccinidae is one
of the most plastic families as far as coiling direction (chirality)
is concerned. Sinistral specimens of many normally-dextral species are
known to occur and there are quite a few normally-sinistral species as
well.

I am always keen to hear of new sinistral records (or, in common with
Harry Lee, to obtain specimens!).

There is a paucity of fish remains in the horizons containing "C"
sutherlandi. I wonder when the parasitic habit became established in
the subfamily... how well-known is the habit ie are all known species
of the subfamily that have been investigated piscoparasites? How about
Retifusus?

--
Andrew Grebneff
Dunedin, New Zealand