From:
Peter Froehlich <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Sep 1998 20:45:54 -0400
I have heard that these storm--related events are due to the surf
litterally digging the shells out of the sand.  This would not be true for
scallops whioch live on the surface of the ocean floor but that does not
mean that a storm would not create heavy surf which would toss shells
ashore.  Here in Maine cold weather, an offshore wind and a particularly
low tide can also create mass mortality of certain sand-dwelling shells.
The same conditions with a heavy rain seems also to shock the animals and
result in them being tossed ashore - things like Spisula solidissima  and
Placopecten  magellanicus.

Beth DeHaas