From:
David Kirsh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Aug 2009 13:47:32 -0400
Dear listers,

I was mainly searching for small landsnails during a recent outing in the mountains of Virginia and North Carolina, but I came across the largest landsnails I've ever seen in the US. http://www.jaxshells.org/boonex.htm
What is the largest native snail species in the continental US?

My girlfriend has adopted the two snails and temporarily housed them in a plastic jar (originally for peanut butter-filled pretzels). She's named them Milton and Eli and we've been watching them frolic. One of them popped open the lid and landed on the counter, so she's put a stone on the lid. Large lettuce leaves tremble before their rhythmic radulae; they're not so interested in dead leaves or dandelion greens. They're not very bashful and usually keep their eyestalks out even when they're inactive. Next weekend we'll be in search of limestone for them to lick.

David Kirsh
Durham, NC

"When you're chewing on life's gristle, DON'T grumble. Give a whistle!" --from Life of Brian