From:
Richard Petit <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Sep 2009 13:27:02 -0400
David:

This was known to Harry and I. We have consistently referred to the species
as "Scalaria."  My explanation of this to Harry some time ago was:
<As for Carpenter's description, it is one of those "funny" cases where the
heading of the description is >"Opalia borealis Gld." but ahead of that
description is a discussion of the Subgenus Opalia. Among >others, Dall and
Sacco were noted for this confusing manner of citation.  See discussion in
the >Cancellarioidea Catalogue.  Because of this, the original genus is
Scalaria: Scalaria (Opalia) borealis >Carpenter, ex Gould.

dick