From:
Charles Sturm <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Oct 1998 00:36:53 -0400
William,
  I never "clean" my fossils.  I will remove as much attached material as
possible but I do not attempt to remove any stains.  The color they come
out of the formation is the color that they remain

  Yes, I occasionally add a consolidant to strengthen fragile fossils.  If
they are small, a few millimeters to a centimeter I store them in glass
shell vials.  If larger, I soak them in a solution of Butvar-76 and
acetone.  This then dries and leaves the Butvar resin in the shell.  The
nice aspect of this system is that you can remove the Butvar by placing
the treated fossil in several changes of acetone.  I try to work by the
maxim that whatever I use to treat a specimen should be able to be undone
by a future investigator.

Charlie
Charlie Sturm, Jr
Research Associate - Section of Invertebrate Zoology
                     Carnegie Museum of Natural History
Assistant Professor - Family Medicine