From:
Deborah Duval <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Feb 2010 16:05:39 -0600
Fabio--

I have also received shells from a friend who was a heavy smoker for many years, and the shells not only smelled of smoke, but were also nicotine stained.  I removed the cotton with operc and washed the shells in soapy water (Ivory liquid is very mild) and with a little brush, and not only the smell but also the stain came off.  Then just remount the operc on your choice of stuffing.  I realize that won't work if you want to preserve tissue inside, but if they are empty, it works great.

Debbie Duval

Deborah B. Duval
Family Service Center
Nicholls State University
P. O. Box 2131
Thibodaux, La.  70310
>>> Fabio Moretzsohn <[log in to unmask]> 02/19/10 3:49 PM >>>
Dear Conch-lers

I recently received some shells from someone who seems to be a big smoker. I
don't smoke, and I don't care if someone does, but I don't want stinky
shells in my house. I quickly closed the ziplock bag and container in which
the shells came, and put them away. I'm sure some of you already experienced
this problem, so I ask what is the best way to get rid of the smell? I
supposed that just letting the shells sit in the open will improve the
smell, but I wonder if there is any simple solution like rinsing the shells
in something like ethanol.

A similar problem is that of improperly cleaned shells, with pieces of the
rotting animal still inside. The solution to get rid of the smell may be to
rinse the shell and remove all of the tissue. However, since specimens with
dried tissue are very useful for radular studies (and I use them often in my
research), I prefer to keep the animal (or whatever is left) in the shell.
Again, soaking the shell in ethanol and let it air dry may improve the
smell, but not get rid of it.

I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks,
Fabio

Fabio Moretzsohn, Ph.D.
Assistant Research Scientist
Harte Research Institute for Gulf of Mexico Studies
Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi
6300 Ocean Drive, Unit 5869, Corpus Christi, TX 78412-5869
Phone: (361) 825-3230; Fax: (361) 825-2050
mollusca [at] gmail.com
Please consider the environment before printing this email.  Think Green!