From:
Chris Takahashi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Sep 2011 17:17:28 -0400
I also agree. In all cases where i brought new species to light i always
chose a specimen that best emplifies the qualities that sets it apart from
comparative species. Most cases this is the best specimen in the lot.
Depending on how many specimens are in the study lot i also include
designated paratypes to be widely distributed in conjunction with the
author. I also have included added topotypes from the original study lot
to be dispersed at the author's recommendations as well. In cases where
low numbers were apparent i've donated all pieces to be deposited.

To length all my activities to get new species properly named have ended
up costing me in high expenses and most importantly time. I'll never be
rich doing this because the money isn't there in this field i've chosen. I
do this out of love of the hobby. Every new species that i've helped bring
to light was done totally at my expense with no financial help from any
person or institution. On this forum i've taken "pot-shots" indirectly
from purist who believe all types belong in institutions.

If any individual or museum that wants to foot the bill in the
expenses/time it took to bring these species to light, then yes i'll
happily turn in the few paratypes that were returned to me. In some cases
none were returned, which i have no problems with either. I chose to do
what i've done so im ok with that. I hope some of the Conchers out there
will realize what it takes nowadays for a species to be named. When i read
some of the responces it shows no respect or gratitude at all for the
dealers, or advanced collectors, who are instrumental in bringing these
new species to our hobby.   Chris:(