From:
"Batt, Richard" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Nov 2011 19:45:37 -0500
This is one I'm really looking forward to hearing what the experts think - I've been grabbing up specimens from as many localities as I can, and the Honduras ones definitely do stand out (I was told that the animal from the Honduras ones are red, as compared to the black animals for the angulata from elsewhere?).  I do have specimens that look like the middle one from the Bahamas, but have specimens like the one at the right from both Mexico and the Bahamas, so am not sure if there's a pattern of shape vs distribution from what I've seen (but I'm not at all an expert on these).  The shell of the Honduras specimen definitely does have a distinct shape with the long anterior taper, though.
BTW - isn't the Honduras one called scolymoides, not scolymus (a junior synonym of angulata)?  Scolymoides is named after fossils, and I've heard a variety of opinions as to whether it's even a valid species separate from angulata, even though the animal's a different color?
Will be looking forward to hearing more on this topic - it would be wonderful if it could be figured out whether or not scolymoides is valid, once and for all?
- Batt