From:
Ken Piech <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 May 2012 22:35:34 -0500
I have some spotted tuns from Malaysia and Thailand that were collected
intertidally, live and dead.  They are about 8 cm in max length.  The shell
is relatively thin.  The aperture is not thickened, and there is no parietal
shield.  I have previously identified these shells as Tonna dolium (Linne,
1758), but have recently been reviewing the ID.  My Indo-Pacific references
variously seem to ID these shells as Tonna dolium (Linne, 1758) and T.
tessellata (Lamarck, 1817).  In reviewing the WoRMS website, the name Tonna
dolium (Linne, 1758) is apparently no longer "accepted", but is "accepted"
as Tonna tessellata (Lamarck, 1817).  However, Tonna maculata (Lamarck 1822)
is now "accepted" as Tonna dolium (Linne 1758).  Eddie Hardy's website
provides some nice pictures, but some of these are confusing.  Is it just
me, or has there been some significant confusion in the correct name for
these shells?  Are there several different species or have many of the
Indo-Pacific spotted tuns been now classified as T. tessellata?  There are
many people on this forum with much more knowledge about such subjects than
I will ever have.  Any assistance with this matter will be greatly
appreciated.  Thanks, Ken Piech