From:
Keith Zeilinger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Jun 2012 09:40:00 -1000
I usually bring home all my shell finds (dead, live, or crabbed) from a
dive in a plastic jar with sea water in it.  I may have separate jars so
the hermit crabs don't pick on fragile live shells.  The jars go right
into the refrigerator overnight.  In the morning most of the crabs are
hanging out of the shells relaxed and a shake or flushing with a hose
usually brings the whole crab out.  Hawaiian hermit crabs do not crawl
out on land and may not be as tough as some that you collect.  There are
several species of Hawaiian shells that we "only" find crabbed, such as
Conus bullatus.  Aloha, Keith Zeilinger