From:
Emilio F Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Nov 2013 11:35:02 -0600
I built a large sieve, 2 ft. by 3 ft with a 2x4 frame, out of window (=mosquito) screen material It served me well for many years on the Pelican cruises, together with a 1/4" wire-mesh identical sieve. However, for such large sieve one must have a hose or buckets of water handy for better results.

I must have brought home 200 ponds of the finer "grunge" from a three-week campaign in  the Campeche banks. After washing and drying the material at home, I would take a cup-full of sediment at a time, drop it in a circular metal tray under a powerful light on my desk, and start a first-search with my visor. The resulting material was searched again under the microscope.

In the Tuamotu Archipelago I would scoop with my hands portions of exposed sand in the outer reef  that had a good drift line. I would use a fish net to scoop sediment from the many reef pockets that remained full of water at low tide.All of this material was carefully searched with my visor once I got back to my accommodations

My OptiVISOR and I are inseparable when I travel. I do 99% of my micro collecting in hotel rooms, ship labs, or at home. I don't even attempt to extract micros in the field, although I must admit that I have brought the visor along just to check the potentially richer drift.

Emilio