From:
Charles Sturm <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Apr 2014 22:53:04 -0400
Another maker of fine point marking pens is ZIG. They are similar to Pigma
pens: archival, lightproof. I usually purchase whichever one is on sale at
my local art supply store. I concur with Paul's comments. I have used dip
pens; however, they take a bit of getting use to and the marking pens tend
to be better for those of us who are clumsy with liquid ink :-)

> In the Academy collections we use Pigma pens (Micron brand; sold at art
> stores) for marking shells and writing labels. Size .005 for shells, size
> 0.1 for labels. Very durable inks, but will wash off shells if necessary.
> I also have some old-fashioned steel-nib fountain pens that I fill with
> regular India Ink. Labels written by Tryon in the 1870s using this
> technology are still nice and clear today.
>
> Paul Callomon
> Collection Manager, Malacology, Invertebrate Paleontology and General
> Invertebrates
> ________________________________
> Academy of Natural Sciences of Drexel University, Philadelphia
> [log in to unmask] Tel 215-405-5096 - Fax 215-299-1170

Regards,
Charlie
Charlie Sturm

Treasurer
American Malacological Society

Research Associate - Section of Mollusks
Carnegie Museum of Natural History
Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Associate Professor - Family Medicine
Fellow-American Academy of Family Practice
Fellow-Academy of Wilderness Medicine