From:
"Callomon,Paul" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Jun 2014 23:27:50 +0000
Folks

Mimeography is not, and never has been, a bar to a publication being available for taxonomic purposes. However, I am very interested in the source of this persistent myth. The earliest manifestation I have seen so far in Western literature is in a paper by Ruth Turner (I think; I'm speaking from memory, being at home right now) in Johnsonia in the 1960s.
What the Code does prohibit for taxonomical purposes is "handwriting reproduced as such by any means". Some early mimeographed works used handwritten stencils, and they thus are not available. Mimeographed works that used typed stencils - like the Newsletter of the Conchological Society of Southern California - are perfectly OK, and always have been.
I'd like to hear from anyone who knows roughly when the misinformation about mimeography started. It's part of a study I'm doing.

Paul Callomon
Collection Manager, Malacology, Invertebrate Paleontology and General Invertebrates
Academy of Natural Sciences of Drexel University, Philadelphia
[log in to unmask] Tel 215-405-5096 - Fax 215-299-1170