From:
Peggy Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Feb 1998 22:41:28 -0500
>I need some help.  I collected some Spondylus while diving the Boxcars
>40-45 miles off of Fort Meyer.  Some are obviously Spondylus americanus,
>but there appears to be another species with shorter spines and a
>squater body.  Blood red in color.  Is this Spondylus ictericus?  Why is
>this species not shown in any of the common reference books (Abbott et
>al)?  Is it scarcer than americanus?
>
>Many thanks in advance,
>
>Scott Jordan

Scott,

Yes, it's S. ictericus. I don't think it was recognized as such when Abbott
wrote American Seashells. It's very common in the Gulf of Mexico, mostly at
about 50-80 foot depths (americanus occurs in deeper water here, beginning
about 80 feet). I have also collected ictericus at the water's edge (low
tide) in Bermuda and off the Palm Beaches on 50' deep ledges. Those shells
tend to have red shells with orange palmate spines. Most ictericus have at
least one palmate spine. I've also seen ictericus from shallow areas of oil
rigs on dealers' tables - I think from Louisiana.

Peggy

Peggy & Tom Williams
Shell Elegant
PO Box 575, Tallevast FL 34270

Shell Collecting Trips around the worldallevast FL 34270