From:
Ken Zentzis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Jan 1999 09:20:07 -0600
esiena wrote:

> My question is, when I add a new shell to the tackle box I always keep
> species separate, of course. But is it ok to put same species, gathered in
> the same locality but at different times, in the same compartment? For
> example, if I have a pecten gathered at Naples Florida in January of 1998,
> and another from Naples Florida in January of 1999, do I put them in
> separate compartments, or can I put them together?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Elizabeth

I'd agree with what Charlie said about numbering shells. When I put india ink
numbers on my shells, I first lay down a thin spot of clear lacquer long
enough to write the number on. This does three things- many shells are porous
and the lacquer seals the surface which prevents the ink from bleeding
permanently into the shell, makes it easier to actually write the number on
the shell (smoothes the surface),and also will facilitate future removal of
the number if necessary (actone and a q-tip work well for removal).

After the lacquer is thoroughly dry, I use a technical drawing pen of smallest
appropriate line diameter (more concise lines and none of the occasional
spatters and blobs associated with the old style "crow-quill" nibs). I try to
put the number in an inconspicuous area (I always number bivalves on the
inside, and try to "hide" it up in the umbone area), but always try to put it
on a solid part of the shell. The end of a siphonal canal, along a thin lip, a
spine, etc., are sometimes the easiest place to write a number, but are also
the most likely places to receive damage, which could destroy the number.
After the ink dries, I topcoat the number with a thin coat of lacquer. This
will protect it from getting smudged by contact with fingers, or accidently
rubbed off during future cleaning.

I also write the number on the data slip, and use the same number in my
catalog, where every scrap of information about the shell is recorded. This
would be especially important if you intend to mix lots together. I've heard
too many horror stories involving shells and data getting mixed up, labels
getting lost, labels getting eaten by insects, etc., to leave my data and
specimens unassociated. Rather than seeing numbers on shells as "eyesores", I
see them as a sign of a well-curated, conscientiously assembled collection.

Ken Zentzis
Wichita, Kansas