From:
"Kim C. Hutsell" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Jan 1999 12:42:40 -0800
Doug,

(Those of you who have tender ears can hit the 'delete' button, now)

I just read the article and I couldn't agree with you more. Passing a law to protect
anything solely on the basis of it being a State icon is the poorest form of legislation
imaginable.  If a blueberry is declared the 'state berry' does that mean a law
should be passed to prohibit eating blueberries??? What nonsense! There has to be a
grain of common sense somewhere in such proposed laws or it becomes an abuse of state
and federal legislative powers. In China, when Mao declared that sparrows were eating
too much grain in the fields, the birds were caught and killed by the millions. As a
result, the insect populations which were normally controlled by the birds exploded and
devastated the crops. Years of famine followed and thousands of people died. While this
is an extreme case, it is none-the-less an example of what happens when legislation is
based on knee-jerk emotions rather than facts.

Crews of fishing vessels everywhere are becoming extremely wary of retaining any
specimens for researchers and scientists for fear they may lose their license.
More than once I've approached a boat captian to save their incidental catch and they've
refused, acting as though they were being targetted for some kind of 'sting' operation.
Such paranoia is effectively breaking down what used to be a good working relationship
between fishermen and scientists and in the end we ALL lose.  It seems that a particular
element of communism which we all scorned...that of the State encouraging neighbor to
inform on neighbor...is now becoming more commonplace in what we loosely refer to as the
free societies of the world.  The shelling community (at least, in my lifetime) has
always effectively 'policed' itself.  Abusive individuals have usually been summarily
chastized by their peers with acceptable results and without interdiction by 'Big
Brother'.

The need to protect an individual species is dwarfed by the need to protect habitiat and
keep whole ecosystems intact. Yet, the latter is usually deferred because states (and
countries) are hungry for dollars from tourists and developers.  If you can visualize a
legislator waving the conservationist flag with one hand while their other hand (behind
their back) is being filled with development dollars, then you begin to approach the
truth. Get the picture?  The really insulting thing is that the government, both state
and federal, assumes that the public is too stupid or too ignorant to see and understand
what's going on. It's obvious from reading the comments and views of members of this
list that ignorance is the domain of the government, not the governed.

Protect those things which truly need protection and stop playing around the illusion of
'concerned' legislators who are only concerned with the security of their own jobs.

Kim C. Hutsell
San Diego