From:
Jim Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Jan 1999 21:11:48 -0500
John and Marlo make good points. A perfect parallel is in populations of
carnivorous plants (like the beautiful three to four foot high pitcher
plants) which were once plentiful from Tallahassee north into Georgia and
west to New Orleans. Thanks to land development (particularly in and around
Mobile Bay, Pensacola and New Orleans), tree farming and agriculture
(namely soy beans) there are now only a handful of locations where these
plants may be found. The Nature Conservancy has been working hard to
protect the remaining stands, but it will never be the same.

Once there were truly spectacular mega-acre savannahs covered with an
astounding assortment of gorgeous species. Today, only a few remote
locations support these important plants (after all, carnivorous plants, or
insectivorous plants, which would be more accurate, are - or were - a big
contributor in the control of insect pests like flies, gnats and
mosquitos).

Still, amazingly enough, many people point fingers and curse at those who
may dig up some wild populations of pitcher plants or sundews, etc. --
plants that are usually in the path of a bulldozer. In some areas, it is
actually against the law to remove a single plant, though timber companies
are free to destroy millions. Welcome to the start of the next millenium.

I recall Dr. Don Schnell mentioning a trip to South America where trees
were being chopped down and burned to make room for farms, yet it was (and
is) against the law for him to remove a single epiphytic orchid from such
trees. All this is the very definition of absurdity. I feel we are
fortunate that given the stress shells, and other plants and animals, have
been subjected to by man that we even have any left. It's a shame that
those that discuss it the most are the ones lest likely to be able to do
anything to stop the destruction of natural habitats. Hey, when is the last
time you personally drained a swamp?

Jim Miller,
Tallahassee, Florida