From:
Alan Gettleman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Feb 1999 07:11:05 -0500
50CFR17.11 (searchable on the net for Code of Federal Regulations but it
is too early in the morning for me to be awake to have the easieest
URL.)
It really was an anomaly, having the handful of freshwater mussels and a
few snails to have the Papuina there on the list (the only non-US
native) amoung the mollusca.  I really don't think I heard about this
until 1975 or definitely 1976, as I know I saw there for sale I am sure
in the mid-1970's in the Florida shops.  Larry Strange tells a great
story about the iracrasible Ken Havourd of Sanibel Seashell Industries
having his shells confiscated and a fine proposed.  I did not hear it
frim the late Ken, but it sure sounded like something that old guy would
do (threatened to stomp on all the green snails he had rather than turn
them over).

Alan