From:
Helmut Nisters <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Feb 1999 14:14:14 PST
Dear Aaron

Chlamys is latinized and so you should a Latin pronunciation.
But if there are some problems to speak, as Americans and
English-people often have their own accent and some German,
Austrians and Italians pronounce as they want, why so complicate. As there are many genera in the family Pectinidae,
so use correctly if you make a scientific work, but at the moment
you speak and the not correct name will enter you, why don't you
say not Pecten. I thank all scientists and collectors know what

species you ever mean. And it's easier to pronounce Pecten
instead of Chlamys or any other genera. So it makes nothing
if you speak a slightly z or a s in Chlamys. Anybody who has
difficulties with s and z (there might be some) can spell Pecten
without s.
Sorry for this answer.
Helmut