From:
NORA BRYAN <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Feb 1999 10:23:03 -0700
At one time Mister Bakker had Mister Cope's skull in a wooden box and carried it
around on field excursions.  I saw this on a video.  I think it really happened,
but maybe it was a prank.  Apparently however, Mister Cope donated his skull (to
the Smithsonian?) to be the type specimen for homo-sapiens.  This was in an age
when skulls were measured by caliper as an indication of intelligence.  This old
"science" was called craniology I believe.  I guess Mister Cope believed he had
an outstanding personal example in himself!  There is an excellent book about
the exploits of Misters Marsh and Cope and their eventual falling out with each
other, and subsequent shenanigans in an attempt to out-do each other in whatever
they were after.  If I can come up with the title of this book I'll pass it on
to whoever is interested in this kind of thing.

Nora Bryan
Calgary, Alberta (land of no shells but plenty of dinosaur bones)
CANADA