From:
Aaron Baldwin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Feb 1999 07:48:06 -0900
Dear Conch-lers,

I was wondering if anyone knew of or had a listing of the NE Pacific
Patellogastropod family Lepetidae. I have been looking over some limpet
collections from SE, and wondering about what other species (besides the
abundant Cryptobranchia concentrica) might occur in SE Alaska. Any lit info
would be greatly appreciated.

Now Ross' question. First of all, I am a PC user. Macs are fine computers
with fine OS' (ever hear a PC user say that?). Their OS is very user
friendly, very stable, and hardware-wise they more or less stay competitive
(usually just a little behind, but not much). The downsides of a Mac are
cost (Macs still, Mhz per Mhz outcost PC's), difficulty in upgrade and
repair, difficulty (relative) in networking, and lack of choice in operating
systems. With a PC I can use any of the Windows suites, OS2 (IBM), Linux
(X-windows), etc. I can even use combinations of the above, that is, I can
set a computer to boot up to Win 98 or DOS, WinNT or Linux, etc. I suppose
the main difference is that when you talk about Macs you are talking about
Mac hardware & Mac OS as a single unit, while a PC is just hardware, and you
can interface that hardware with a  variety of command-line and GUI based
operating systems.

I wish to stress again that I am not knocking Macs. A potential analogy is
that between an automatic vs manual transmission in a car. An automatic
works great, is easy to use etc. A manual is a little more difficult to
learn initially, but once learned also works great. Once mastered, the
manual transmission driver finds they have more control than one has with an
automatic. Whether or not that kind of control is needed is dependant upon
the individual driver (or computer user). That's not to say that PC users
are better at computing than Mac users. A Mac guru in action is an amazing
this to see. Okay, I think that's enough on this topic from me. Take care- Aaron
Aaron Baldwin
Juneau, Alaska
http://www.ofseaandshore.com