From:
Ross Mayhew <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Mar 1999 02:00:58 -0300
        Since things have quieted down a bit, (and the ides of March isn't
until next week!) i would like to "float" a little idea, if i might.
For better or worse, shell dealers are an important part of the
Conchological world.  There are a fair number of us represented on this
list, so the following idea could prove quite interesting, or even
"illuminating":
         Every dealer has their own individual "style" of selling shells - a
combination of their "Philosophy of shell selling" (why are they doing
this often greuling, high-intensity work, when they could be (or often
in *addition* to bieng) an 8-hr. a day employee??); the "target
group(S)" they are trying to reach; their own individual
techniques/methods, and individual quirks (such as my penchant for
word-play and strange little jokes).  I was thinking it would be a
worthwhile exercise to have any dealer who wished to share a bit, give a
summary of their particular way of doing the shell-selling thing,
including perhaps personal details or reflections about their
perspective on shelling itself, as well as what they derive out of the
process of interacting with so many collectors and suppliers all around
the planet.
        I  throw this out as an idea for feedback, instead of just jumping into
possibly deep or "hot" water if you don't like the notion.  So, what do
you think??

Shell-Shocked in Canada,
-Ross M.
--