From:
Philip Poland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 3 Jan 1998 19:53:52 -0500
Yes Ross, it's getting a bit thin, so I'll throw out some questions that I
have and change the subject.
In talking with Florida collectors, it sounds like there is confusion or at
least quite a bit of disagreement on the Littorina ziczac-like periwinkles.
I'll start this off by saying that I follow de Jong and Coomans (Marine
Gastropods from Curacao, Aruba and Bonaire, 1988). They describe four very
similar species which correspond pretty well to what I find in the field.
They are:
Littorina ziczac (Gmelin, 1791) Canaveral Inlet, southward on the east
coast.
Littorina interrupta (C. B. Adams., in Philippi, 1847) All of Florida
except the Keys. Also north through Georgia and westward on the Gulf coast.
Littorina mordax (Bandel & Kadolsky, 1982) Canaveral Inlet southward to the
Miami area.
Littorina angustior (Morch, 1876) Canaveral Inlet, southward on the east
coast.
Does anyone have other theories they'd be willing to discuss, or reasons to
support other interpretations of this group?
Some other names that pop up include L. lineata, L. lineolata, L. floccosa,
L. carinata, L. orbignyana, L. zigzag and L. jamaicensis. Be brave and jump
in.
> From: ross mayhew <[log in to unmask]>
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Re: CONCH-L Digest - 1 Jan 1998 to 2 Jan 1998,and Antarctic
Shells
> Date: Sunday, January 04, 1998 12:48 AM
>
> Is it just me, or is this list becomming  a bit "thin" recently?  I tell
> ya, i go away for 11 days, and look what happens!!
>
> Can anyone help me find a source of Antarctic shells, preferably a
> primary one such as a trawling company which fishes the waters "down
> under"?  I would very much like to obtain material to compare with the
> Boreal and Arctic species i study and admire (when i'm not busy selling
> cowries, cones, and other tropical critters, ie!).  I know there is an
> increasing  amount of commercial activity in this region, but haave not
> been successful  in contacting  any of it so far.
>
> Merry 8th day of Christmas, and happy 2nd last year of the millenium to
> all!

      -Ross Mayhew,
>                                                                 Schooner
Specimen Molluscan Exoskeletons.