From:
Bill Frank <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Mar 1999 19:21:53 -0500
Kurt, I am not referring to any paper.  All of the people who spend
any time on the beach in the summer will see the behavior that
I described (surfing with an umbrella shaped foot).  You can stand
in a foot of water and literally pick these guys up as they "surf" by.
The kids are especially thrilled by this as they try to snatch them
up as they go by.  They are not disloged -- they have a purpose
-- mating.  C. Lloyd has made even more interesting observations
in regards to the latter (mating) and other unusual behaviors which
are not yet fully understood. We will see what happens this summer!

Compared to our other common Terebra (Terebra dislocata) which
is a passive species, the Hastula salleana are very active and are
reminiscent of a Strombus alatus or Fasciolaria tulipa when handled
- struggling and fighting to return to their natural surroundings.

Regards,

Bill F.