From:
Sylvia Mail <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Mar 1999 11:56:31 -0600
My opinion on the subject of why there are fewer younger people getting into
shell collecting:

Times have changed; the world is a more complicated place.  My children all
have very demanding jobs and have very little leisure time.  When they
aren't at work, they are doing laundry, shopping for groceries, clothes,
cooking the food, cleaning house, and taking care of those things associated
with children.

My grandchildren must stay in after-school care with two working parents.
When they get home after 5:30 PM, do their homework, sell the candy for the
band, participate in sports, etc., there is no leisure time.  School is more
demanding.  It doesn't seem to be a place for learning anymore, but a place
the teacher assigns the work for them to learn at home.  They are expected
to master computers, which throw we older people.  It is a fact of life that
computer generated papers receive a better grade, whether it is required or
not.  "Keyboarding" is a required course.  My grandchildren have many
interests/hobbies they would like to pursue - but when?  There are
illnesses, doctor and dental appointments, thank-you notes to write, social
contact, and the president's and society's emphasis on being physically
fit - thus the sports.

Life once moved at a slower pace.  Not as much was expected of us.  As a
senior citizen, I worked in my own business while my children were growing
up, and I had little time for hobbies myself.

I don't think it is a lack of interest - it is a matter of priorities.

Sylvia Edwards
Huntsville AL