From:
"Harry G. Lee, MD" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Mar 1999 14:58:34 -0500
At 01:05 PM 3/27/99 -0500, you wrote:
>Andrew Vik
>Tampa, FL., USA.
>liavik@earthlink,net
>
>Harry:
>
>I had heard from Phil Poland that you are interested in sinistrals.

Accurate; perhaps understated.

Has anyone
>tried dissecting a live egg case and raising the few sinistrals in an aquarium?

Not that I know of.  This is not far-fetched; its doable!

>Why aren't sinistrals more common?

Let me consider your question to relate to mutant reversals rather than
"sinistrals."  The answer is may be something akin to: "If it ain't broke,
don't fix it."

Are they physically incompatible with the
>dextrals when attempting copulation?  I have seen certain pulmonate species
which
>have 50% dextral, 50% sinistral populations. Is this because they are
>hermaphroditic, and thus better able to pass on their sinistral genes?

This incompatability is real (and observable).  The hermaphroditic pulmonate
taxa with amphidromine (mixed dextral-sinistral) populations are, for the
most part, obligate cross-fertilizers and are effectively unable to
self-fertilize or efficiently mate with oppositely-coiled partners.  So the
situation is a bit more complex than we would like it.

>Andrew
>

>Harry G. Lee, MD wrote:
>
>> Dear Questionman,
>>
>> Two interesting observations come to mind:
>>
>> Firstly on the subject of shell aberrations being associated with a
>> selective disadvantage for mollusk within:  I once "dissected" a stranded
>> egg-case of Busycotypus canaliculatus (Linnaeus, 1758) and counted about 800
>> (dead, dried) embryos.  Three had sinistral shells.  The late Bob Wagner had
>> a similar experience in an (unpublished) experiment with the same species.
>> The frequency of reversed B. canaliculatus adults is much, much lower, I
>> only know of two shells (among perhaps hundreds of thousands) - both
>> accounted for by Paul Monfils.  I think it is safe to conclude that the
>> sinistral condition Bob and I observed was mighty sublethal.
>>
>> As regards shell-less mollusks:  There are a few reports of sinistral (soft
>> parts anatomically reversed) adult pulmonate slugs - just like their
>> healthy-appearing testaceous relatives.
>>
>> Harry
Harry G. Lee
mailto: [log in to unmask]
Suite 500, 1801 Barrs Street
Jacksonville, FL  32204
U. S. A.    904-384-6419
Visit the Jacksonville Shell Club Home Page at:
http://home.sprynet.com/sprynet/wfrank/jacksonv.htm