From:
Linda Brunner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Apr 1999 18:48:35 -0500
When I was growing up, my parents gave me, as I'm sure your parents did too,  advice.  Much
of this advice was ignored, some was rejected outright, some was filed away and some I took.
Of course I retrieved much of that which was filed away.  Of the advice I used, the one that
comes to mind most frequently is,  "Don't ever put anything in print that you wouldn't want
anyone to see".

The time has come for Conch-L to clean up its act, if for no other reason than to keep
statements which may later embarrass you from getting into the archives.

There are many issues I could tackle here, but in the interest of brevity, I will only address what
I feel are our most pressing ones.

COA through the courtesy  of  the University of Georgia  provides Conch-L for the
convenience of its members and others as a forum to share information about shells.  In order
to keep this forum we can not abuse it.  This is why we have rules.  If you haven't read them
lately, refresh your memory and do so.  If you are new to Conch-L and haven't read them,
please do so.  If you welcome someone to the list, suggest that they read them.  The more
familiar we are with the rules, the more apt we are to consider them before contacting the list.

Don't insult one another.  It helps no one.  If you want to lower your blood pressure, go kick a
brick wall.  That way only you will suffer and your doctor will make money.  Don't put Conch-L
at risk.  Controversial issues are fine.  They stimulate growth.  If you disagree, do it with your
brain, not your emotions.  Also try not to put each other down.   This creates ill will.  It is one
thing to explain to someone his errors in private.  It is quite another thing to do so in front of
hundreds of people.

You wanted the limit increased.  I talked to Amy and she increased the limit.  Now we have a lot
of test messages.  If you want to know if your mail is going out, Email a friend or yourself.  Do
not use our limit sending test messages.  We have a 75 limit and on those days when a lot of us
are talking, we reach it rapidly.

We must stop the off topic discussions.  Use private Email.  You all have it.  And don't come
on Conch-L to complain about someone who is off topic.  Do it privately.  Don't use the list to
applaud or agree with someone's point of view.  Do this privately.  Use Conch-L to reply to a
shell or shell related question or ask one.

If you feel the need to apologize, think before you do.  Often you can put the apology into a
shell related issue.  Apologize privately to a board member.  Don't clutter up Conch-L with
apologies, no matter how much you feel the need to.

Why don't we have a moderator?  COA is run by volunteers.  Most of these volunteers have
full time jobs.  We cannot moderate.  What's that?  Are you volunteering to cite the rule every
violator is violating?  Let me know and I'll make you the list moderator.  It's a full time job, no
pay and you'll win no popularity contests.  We must police ourselves.  But be sure not to apply
for this position if you have ever broken a rule yourself or sent an accidental message to
Conch-L.

Finally, enjoy Conch-L.  You can learn and make new shell contacts.  Treasure it and treat
Conch-L and your fellow list members with respect.

If  you have any comments about this letter, Email me privately.

Linda E. Brunner
President, Conchologists of America
See you in Louisville!