From:
Robert Zeljak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Apr 1999 21:46:59 +0200
>Thank you for pointing that out Gijs. I couldn't see a way that someone
>could ship a large specimen that would arrive in one piece. The contact I
>used for my trading in that area disappeared too . Are any other species in
>the region banned ? thanks again ,,,
>Mark James & Peta Susan Bethke
>3001 South Ocean Dr. Suite 4-V
>Hollywood, Florida
>33019-2804
>U.S.A.

To be more precise, according to Croatian law there are four protected
endangered shell species, with following penalties (approx. in US$)...
Gastropoda
Charonia tritonis seguenza (should be variegata) 560 US$
Tonna galea 140 US$
Mitra zonata 1120 US$
Bivalvia
Pinna nobilis 70 US$
You can find the whole law on:
http://www.nn.hr/Glasilo/96/1504.htm
but it is available only in Croatian. The first shell that was protected in
the region (east coast of Adriatic Sea) was Pinna nobilis in 1977 by
the law of former Yugoslavia.

Robert Zeljak, Prague, Czech Republic

-- http://email.seznam.cz
-- email zdarma na cely zivot