From:
Date:
Sat, 10 Apr 1999 08:30:38 -0600
Tim,

You are probably not the only reader who does not know what a Kaicher
card is, so here is a bit of explanation.

Sally Kaicher authored a series (the exact number may be uncertain, but
it was a bunch) of 3 inch by 5 inch cards with a shell species on each.
They were done in sets with one or more (for the large families) sets
for a family.  Each card has a black and white photograph of the shell,
usually in at least two views, an indication of size (like 1X or .5x)
and a brief description.  Many of her photos were of type specimens and
and she often had species not covered in other publications.
Unfortunately, I discovered these cards a bit late and I only have the
set on nerites (which is okay as there isn't a dedicated book on these
guys yet).  When you can find them, the sets are fairly inexpensive.  I
know Richard Petit (if you need his address, let me know) had some for
sale and I'll bet other shell book dealers have some from time to time.
The only downside to these cards is the fact that cards (at least for
me) are not as easy to use as a book.  I have been tempted more than
once to get a photo album and mount the cards in that so I could just
flip through pages.

So there it is. I didn't know this wonderful lady but it is obvious from
the comments on Conch-L that she was well liked and appreciated by those
who knew her personally as well as those who only knew her through her
work.  And I guess, in the end, that is saying quite a lot.

Tom Eichhorst in New Mexico, USA