From:
"Sylvia S. Edwards" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Apr 1999 21:16:14 -0500
Scott, for many years my husband and I were self-collecting purists.  We had
some given to us or won as door prizes, but we separated them, and used them
as part of our home decor.

However, we have found as we have aged and no longer have the stamina for
the self-collecting, and moved away from the beach, and the collecting
became harder and harder, we relented.  We began to see so many exotic
beautiful things for sale by dealers at shell shows, etc.  So, we have begun
to buy.

But it is a different feeling.  I love the shells in our collection because
I know the circumstances where they were collected.  The ones I have bought
are the ones I admire for the pure beauty and use for decorative pieces, or
pieces of art to admire in my home.  Somehow you begin to separate the two.
You have two collections - the sentimental collection and the esthetic
collection.

(Don't attend the COA bourse - you will be too tempted.)

Sylvia S. Edwards
Huntsville, Alabama