From:
Lynn Scheu <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Apr 1999 00:23:27 -0400
Nora and Sylvia,

I loathe symmetry in gardening and in interior decorating, and in both
arts, I enjoy the unexpected and the whimsical and the view that gives the
eye pause. But I enjoy it in architecture. Maybe I want my buildings to be
more substantial and symmetry leads me to have faith that there is indeed a
beam holding both sides up?  In shells, symmetry can be pretty boring.
Also, I think one thing about shells that a lot of us hang our interest on,
where we have to remember so many, is the asymmetrical flange or bulge or
little row of dots or oddball spine. A dealer was just saying how saleable
turrids were...I am not surprised...they are variations on a theme, but
those posterior notches are fascinating (No comments on that one, EJP!)  in
their angles and shapes and sculpture. And how totally asymmetrical those
notches are. And the elegance of volutes is partly in their assymetry. And
think of the oddities in the muricids: trophons, drupas, Homalocantha,
Phyllocoma, that insane little typhis, Trubatsa pavlova, Rapa rapa, etc.
All are asymmetrical. And perhaps part of our fascination with sinistral
shells is to do with their perceived (maybe actual?) asymmetry. They look
so much more askew than when they coil the other way.

I think I agree with Nora about color and gloss...I want to shine and pick
at less than glossy or encrusted shells. But then there are those oddballs
like the little metulas in the Buccinidae and phyllocomas, and of course
the textures of all the latiaxis! And then there's the inside contrasted
with the outside of haliotis. And That tarry black periostracum on Noetia
ponderosa.

Maybe it is just the seemingly infinite and unexpected variations of
seashells that attract us.

Lynn Scheu
Louisville, KY where there are some really fantastic shells in the last of
our silent auctions,  "The Kentucky Derby of Also Rans, the Best Silent
Auction of Seashells Ever." (You'll just have to come and see for yourself,
Emilio. Or devil Linda Brunner for some clues.)