From:
Lynn Scheu <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Apr 1999 17:51:52 -0400
Sylvia, and all,

A couple of things I can help you with immediately, and I have Gene Everson
calling right now about the "no rooms" problem.  I am sure it is one of
those usual convention hotel reservation desk mix-ups, but will get back to
you about it as soon as I know the answer.

The Galt House East Tower and the Galt House West Tower are two parts of
the same hotel, the Galt House.  They are indeed connected by a "bridge" of
sorts, a bridge across the cul-de sac on which the hotel is located, from
third floor of one to third floor of the other.  The bridge is not a bridge
but a hallway.  It connects the third floor of the hotel east tower with
the third floor of the hotel west tower.  The convention rooms are on the
third floor of the west tower of the hotel.   If, indeed, you wind up
staying in the east tower, you would come down from your room in the
elevator to the third floor, get off the elevator, go around the corner to
the walkway/hallway and walk a short distance to the meeting rooms.  This
distance is no further than the equivalent distance from lobby hotel to
convention rooms in most hotels I have experienced over the years at COA
conventions, and less distance than many.

The area where our convention rooms are located is NOT the Galt House East.
 It is the Galt House West.  There are a whole second set of convention
rooms located on first floor in the Galt House East, but they are not the
ones we are using.  Ours are on third floor of Galt House West.  They are
the Archibald Room and the Cochran Room and a few miscellaneous rooms for
certain small events like the Club Rep Meeting, all of which are located
near the Archibald and Cochran Rooms.

And the walkway/bridge/hallway/whatever is kind of neat.  It is a single
bridging structure divided into three long narrow parts.  The northern-most
stretch is on the side of the hotel toward the Ohio River, is glassed in
and affords a super view of the Ohio River and river boat landing.  The
central stretch is just a long narrow room that is inaccessible to the
public, and is used by the hotel for props and decorations storage.  The
southernmost stretch is open air, a sort of balcony/walkway, and it affords
a view south across the city of Louisville, and a vantage point from which
to watch the trolleys and horse carriages and such arrive and depart from
the lobby two floors below.

Ok, while I jabbered on about bridges and things, Gene fulfilled his
mission and he just called back.  From the night of Saturday  the 26th of
June, which is the night before the convention starts, through Thursday
night, July 1, there are plenty of $79 rooms, and all the other room
sizes/prices are available in plentiful supply.  There is no problem with
room supply.   The only place a confusion may have arisen  when your
daughter called, Sylvia, is that there is a large Baptist convention the
week before our convention.  It ends on Friday, June 25th when every
non-shell-collecting Baptist leaves for home.  That earlier week (Sunday
June 19 - Friday June 25), the hotel is indeed full to the bursting point.
But on Saturday June 26, there is NO waiting list whatsoever.

I honestly think your travel agent daughter happened upon some dim
reservations temp person who didn't know enough to say "I don't know."   OR
your daughter was trying to reserve for dates before the convention eve so
that you could arrive early as some people are planning to do.   Every bit
of information you were given was about as wrong as possible.   Too bad,
and I am sorry for your needless worry. Do have your daughter try again. If
there are any more problems, email me direct and Gene or I will take care
of it.

See you in June,

Lynn Scheu
Louisville, KY,  Derby City and Home of the 1999 COA Convention, where
there are plenty of $79 rooms, and where, all up and down the Beautiful
Ohio, the "Steam-Pie-Anna" on the Belle of Louisville Sternwheeler is
already playing "My Old Kentucky Home."