From:
Jose Eduardo de Alencar Moreira <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Feb 1998 10:12:24 -0300
Dear Beth,

First of all, I think that this is the kind of question that we should
answer in broadcast, to the whole list, instead of privately. I'm sure that
lot's of other members will be someday shelling in California and these
messages will give them some help. I would love to read at Conch-L tips
about shelling in North Carolina, Red Sea, Argentina, and any other place
of the world. May be it can take years to get there, but who knows these
tips can be helpful, in the future?

I spent my vacations in California last year, mostly in April. The weather
was terrific. Sunny days from the beginning to the end. This year with El
Nino, el Padre, la Madre and the whole family, be prepared for everything.

While planning my trip and also during my vacations I received the help of
several people. Now it's time to help someone else.

I suggest you contact the following people before arriving and to visit
them while there:
In LA: Lindsey Groves - [log in to unmask] - at the Natural History Museum
of L.A. County
     Jon Sloan - [log in to unmask] - at the Department of
Biology/Geology, California State University
In San Diego: Kim Hutsell - [log in to unmask]
     Sally Shelton - [log in to unmask] - at the San Diego Museum of
Natural History
     Don Pisor - [log in to unmask]

Places to visit:
Natural History Museum of L.A. County
San Diego Museum of Natural History, and
talk with Don Pisor and Kim Hutsell and try to visit Don's wholesale store.
It's unforgettable!

Clubs:
San Diego Shell Club: meeting in Balboa Park, San Diego
Pacific Shell Club: meeting in San Pedro [near L.A.], California
Conchological Club of Southern California: meeting at the Natural History
Museum of L.A. County

Places to collect:
I collected mostly at Palos Verdes in the LA area, and in the Bird Rock, in
La Jolla, San Diego area. Be aware that collecting live specimens without a
permit is strictly forbidden, although dead shell collecting is OK.

Most of these information was just compiled from the messages received one
year ago, but I bet that they are updated. I sincerely wish these
information can be helpful to you.

Cheers,

Eduardo Moreira
Brasilia, Brazil