From:
ferreter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 May 1999 10:44:39 -0000
Helmut wrote :" can you send your private e-mail to the following e-mail "

Don't do it Manuel, he's just trying to get your goods... ferreter

:
thank you best

Helmut Nisters
Franz-Fischer-Str. 46
A-6020 Innsbruck / Austria / Europe
phone and fax: 0443 / 512 / 57 32 14
e-mail: [log in to unmask]
url: www.netwing.at/nisters/

or

Natural History Department of the
Tiroler Landesmuseum Ferdinandeum Innsbruck
malacological collection
Feldstr. 11a
A-6020 Innsbruck / Austria / Europe
phone: 0043 / 512 / 58 72 86-37

----------
Dear friends:

        I was in shelling in Ilha de Sal, Cape Verde, last Easter, together
with my friend and also CONCH-Ler Carlos Afonso from Portugal.  In six days
we explored thoroughly the Mordeira Bay, and another locations in the West
and South of the Island. The Island is completely desertic, and the weather
windy for the first days. We hired a 4 x 4 car as transport, since only two
roads exist in the island. Our first contact with shells was snorkelling in
Praia de Santa Maria, just nearby the Hotel, and we were delightful when
live Cyp. picta and Cyp. spurca verdensium began to appear just turning
rocks. A few small cones were also found (Conus anthonyi, felitae) along
with many Latirus triserialis, Conus ermineus, Cyp. lurida, etc. It was very
encouraging, and
in the following days we went to Mordeira, where Conus cuneolus and
mordeirae were caught by snorkelling in great numbers. The sight of big
fishes and some nice coral was also interesting. In a place called Calheta
Fonda we located the population of the beautiful Conus ateralbus, that was
collected easily. But probably the best spot of all visited was a beautiful
beach called Rabo do Junco. Apart from Conus cuneolus, longilineus, felitae,
we discovered the population of conus venulatus, and we collected many on
the spot. Conus ermineus and tabidus were also around, and I was delighted
when I was able to catch a beautiful Harpa doris on sand.
In general, there are no restrictions for shelling (shells are sold at the
airport in Sal, although these come from Senegal), the accomodation is good,
and you can move here and there with security. The local restaurants are
nice and clean, although the prices perhaps a bit too high, since all the
food must be imported (except sawfish, lobster, limpets and other seafood,
quite nice...)

                                Manuel Jimenez Tenorio
                                Jerez, Cadiz, SPAIN