From:
"Harry G. Lee, MD" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 May 1999 21:50:27 -0400
Dear Paul and Gijs:

Gijs has it exactly right, except the spelling of Martyn (Anon. 1957.
Opinion 479.  Opin. Int. Comm. Zool. Nomencl. 16:365-456).

Harry

At 01:44 PM 5/7/99 +0200, you wrote:
>Dear Paul,
>
>As far as I know, the work by Martin, as a total, does not follow the
>provisions of the code, i.e., it is not strictly binominal. the work as a
>total is therefore rejected.
>Nevertheless, (I think), as many (?all) of the New Zealand species were
>first described by Martin, and have a long history in Malacology, there
>names are conserved under the regulations of the ICZN. [I think there is an
>official opinion on that matter].
>
>Gijs C. Kronenberg
>
>----------
>> Van: Paul R. Monfils <[log in to unmask]>
>> Aan: [log in to unmask]
>> Onderwerp: What did Martyn do??
>> Datum: vrijdag 7 mei 1999 2:00
>>
>> Hi Folks, especially you taxonomy wizzards -
>>
>> The following excerpt is from the description of Naticarius cruentatus
>> (Gmelin, 1791), in Poppe & Goto's European Seashells, Volume 1:
>>
>> "N. hebraeus (Martyn, 1784) is the oldest name for the species, but all
>names
>> given by Martyn - except some for species from New Zealand - have been
>> rejected by the International Commission for Zoological Nomenclature."
>>
>> Question - What did the poor fellow do that prompted the ICZN to
>unilaterally
>> throw out all the species names assigned by him?  And, what was different
>> about those New Zealand names?
>>
>> Regards,
>> Paul M.
>> Rhode Island

Harry G. Lee
mailto: [log in to unmask]
Suite 500, 1801 Barrs Street
Jacksonville, FL  32204
U. S. A.    904-384-6419
Visit the Jacksonville Shell Club Home Page at:
http://home.sprynet.com/sprynet/wfrank/jacksonv.htm