From:
Jane Heintz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 May 1999 20:00:11 -0400
----------
> From: A Menez <[log in to unmask]>
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Re: Rebuttal to "Do Truly Rare Species Exist?"
> Date: Friday, May 14, 1999 9:56 PM

You have to remember that the word 'fittest' has a very specific meaning in
evolution. It does not mean fit as in the lay sense. Fitness is measured by
the
amount of progeny an individual produces NOT how healthy, strong etc etc
that
individual is. The term 'survival of the fittest' is a term that has done
more
to confuse the layman about evolutionary thinking than any other. Those
interested will want to read up Fisher's classic work about genetics and
evolution where fitness is given in mathematical terms.

Alex