From:
"Harry G. Lee" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Jun 1999 10:03:43 -0400
Dear James,

The slugs you describe are all Limax flavus Linnaeus, 1758.  The amount of
gray and orange varies among individuals and populations.  The slime is
"always" yellow-orange.  This species was INTRODUCED to the U. S. from
Europe before 1825.  It was first noticed in Philadelphia by Thomas Say,
our first NATIVE-BORN professional conchologist.

This species is very destructive; it is particularly fond of garden veggies.

Harry

At 07:31 AM 6/13/99 -0400, you wrote:
>Dear all, I have a slug question. Up here in Ohio, I have been seeing
>many different kinds of slugs. One paticular type that interests me is
>one
>that is a light citrus orange in color. When disturbed, it creates bright
>orange slime.
>I have seen specimens of similar color, but some have grey undersides. It
>is about 2 inches
>long. Can anyone tell me what species this is?
>
>Thanks,
>James

Harry G. Lee
Suite 500
1801 Barrs St.
Jacksonville, Fl. 32204
USA   904-384-6419
Visit the Jacksonville Shell Club Home Page at:
http://home.sprynet.com/sprynet/wfrank/jacksonv.htm