From:
Charles Sturm <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Jun 1999 11:19:59 -0400
Archival boxes tend to be made from paper that is acid free with or
without a buffer of CaCO3.  The lack of acid prevents the box from
contributing to the developement of Byne's Disease (or my prefer
name...Bynesian Deterioration).  It was thought to be of bacterial origin,
or at least having a bacterial component to the process, by Byne when he
did his original investigations.  If I can find my original posting on
this I will repost it (with references to Bynes papers).

Other archival containers can be made out of certain plastics,
borosilicate glass vials (shell vials), and metal.  Each and every
substance has its pros and cons and the final decission comes down to what
you are preserving and how much money you can spend on the supplies.

Charlie
Charlie Sturm, Jr
Research Associate - Section of Invertebrate Zoology
                     Carnegie Museum of Natural History, Pittsburgh, PA
Assistant Professor - Family Medicine