From:
Dan Yoshimoto <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Jun 1999 08:55:44 -0700
Hi Mel,
I thought that you'd be at COA.  When you were at the London Museum do you
remember any species that were in the Cook Collection by Banks?  The
Endeavour has only one Cypraea tigris in its collection and malacologists
and conchologists need to be represented on board.  I already gave them a
Northern Queensland Malleus alba (White Hammer Oyster because I had read
somewhere that it was  collected on Cook's voyages.  Do you happen to
remember any others?  Or do you know the e-mail or web page address of the
London Museum of Natural History?  I have a few days left before The
Endeavour leaves port.
        Thanks for the info and have a great 4th of July.
Dan

>Hi Dan,
>        On a most recent trip to London, and with the proper introductions,
>we were in
>the London Museum of Natural History.
>        We had the opportunity to see parts of the 9 million shells in there
>collection.
>On group was the shells taken on Capt.Cooks travels by Banks. It is maintained
>seperately in the collection. We also saw Linne's collection, with original
>data slips.
>WOW.
>                                                                Mel S.

Dan & Hiromi Yoshimoto