From:
Aydin Orstan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Jul 1999 08:43:10 -0400
Kurt,

The best (and only) explanation of the structure & function of the clausilium
of the Clausiliidae that I could find is in Kerney & Cameron's "A Field Guide
to the Land Snails of Britain & North-West Europe". This is what they say:
"...the upper attenuated end of [the clausilium] is fixed to the columella.
When the animal is crawling the clausilium is pushed elastically out of the
way into the groove between the columellar & subcolumellar lamellae, but on
retraction [of the snail] the expanded end springs out against the palate &
blocks entry into the shell." You really need to break open a shell to fully
understand how this happens. I examined one of my broken Albinaria shells. If
I had had a digital camera I would have taken pictures for all to see. I
suppose the clausilium originated as a columellar tooth. It starts from the
columella about a whole turn behind the aperture as a stiff but flexible
ribbon, spirals around the columella then expands into the clausilium proper.
When I gently pushed on the clausilium with a needle coming from the inside of
the shell (just as the snail would have done), it moved towards the dorsal
side of the shell, opening the entrance. Note that the clausilium always
remains inside the shell.

Hope this helps.

A.