From:
John Hooker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Aug 1999 20:36:26 -0600
John,

The Romans did use the word moneta for money. During the Republic
Triumviri Monetales were officers entrusted as superintendents of the
mint. Inscriptions on coins sometimes show this as III.VIR. As the
name suggests, these officers were three in number. J. Caesar
increased the number to four, and this was sometimes seen as
IIII.VIR.A.P.F (the APF standing for ad pecuniam feriundam)

Much later, after the monetary reforms of Diocletian, Moneta was used
in the mint signature on coins, and this varied in its form: SM (sacra
moneta) M (moneta) P (pecunia). London (Londinium) could be written as
ML, MLN, PLN, PLON, and a few other ways as well. Mediolanum in Italy
used M, but not SM, while Aquilea (also in Italy) used SM but not M.

Regards,

John Hooker

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

--
Visit our Website at http://www.writer2001.com
Coriosolite Expert System...Animation...Poetry...Books